Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Gaga's Version of Our Parade Today

the way i remember it ....

i wish i had a video of today with charlie. we (erin and i) opened the door to get him and he was standing there. i was prepared for pure unbridled joy to see me standing there to get him early. he smiled so sweetly. then he told me he was about to lead his class outside to play. i told him we came to get him early for some fun. he looked at me and said, "no gaga." i am not going early. my class needs me to lead them outside and i want to play when we get outside." confusion began to tickle my brain. he looked at me and in his expression on his sweet little face and the determination looking back at me from his beautiful brown eyes ... i knew, oh, i knew ... it was high noon. a line in the sand had been drawn and there was just not going to be a pleasant exit. i did not reopen the door that had just been gently but firmly closed in my face. my thoughts were conflicted. maybe we needed to honor his reasonable expectation of finishing his day and let him revel in the power of being the leader. then i thought of the lunch we had just ordered that would be waiting hot and ready in the cafe down the street ... and what about the appointment with the photographer? they had a very important appointment with santa and a photographer. being a calm grandmother with vast wisdom and experience i calmly walked down the hall to erin and offered to get hank. (who happened to be delighted to be leaving early as that allowed him escape from time out....) ... watching erin carry my charlie bear down the street so so upset that his will was being thwarted it was like deja' vue. his mommy was just like this. so interested and determined and ... determined.... my heart is so in love.

Sherry Manross

No comments:

Post a Comment